Did you know? A burglary occurs every 20 seconds in the U.S. Like most things, burglaries typically have a pattern with burglars looking for the path of least resistance to accomplish their crimes. Below we discuss a few tips that should help you defend your home and belongings while also keeping you safe.
Burglary prevention checklist
- Most burglaries are conducted during the day: Many people believe that most burglaries occur during the night, however data shows that most burglaries take place between the hours of 12:30pm – 2:30pm. The reason for this is the strong likelihood that a home will be empty while its occupants are at work or school. Typically, burglars simply want to steal your belongings and do not want to confront anyone while doing so.
- Criminals do not like a brightly lit stage: In the event that criminals target your home during the nighttime hours, it is best to have the exterior of your property well lit. Since these criminals are using the cover of night to their advantage, items such as accent lights, landscape lights, and motion-sensor lights can deter these acts on your property. After all, criminals never want a “Hollywood stage” to be seen on. As an example, you will notice that most large gas stations are extremely well lit at night. This is intentional for this same reason.
- Social media can provide a blueprint for your home: Are you the type of person that likes to document your life on social media? If so, you may want to reconsider a few things. For starters, you may want to wait to share those amazing photos from your vacation until you are back home. After all, nothing is more inviting to a burglar than knowing a house will be vacant for the coming week while you are on vacation. In addition, if you are the type to post many videos showcasing your home and items in it, this also provides a significant advantage to home burglars. After all, their goal is to get in and out of your home with the most valuables in the least amount of time.
- Security features are effective: Homes without a security system are 300% more likely to be targeted by home burglars. Items such as security systems and security cameras are most effective in simply preventing burglars from targeting your home. It is important to remember that home burglars want the path of least resistance when planning their heists.
- Don’t advertise your weaponry: Although you may be a proud gun owner and believe that this will deter home burglars, it can actually do the opposite. A gun is stolen every 2 minutes in the U.S. and oftentimes weapons are one of the most highly sought-after items during home burglaries. If you keep firearms in your home, you should make sure that you properly lock-up these items when not in use. Believe it or not, even simply things such as bumper stickers on your vehicle can provide clues to home burglars that there are weapons in a home.
- Eliminate hiding spots outside the home: Items such as tall hedges, bushes, or even large architecture features can provide hiding spots for home burglars. As a best practice, be sure to have a clear view of all entry points to the home such as doors and windows.
- Do not leave valuables in open sight: Simple things such as leaving a laptop computer next to a window can be quite inviting to a burglar. As a best practice, homeowners should be sure to conceal valuable items out of plain sight. In doing so, this may reduce the chance of a home burglar deciding to break into your home.
Although homeowners may never completely eliminate their risk of being targeted by burglars, the steps above can certainly go a long way in preventing many incidents. Fortunately, a little common sense and some basic security measures can greatly limit your chances of being a victim to home theft. In addition to a home likely being the greatest investment in your life, it is also supposed to be a safe space for you and your family.
At Live South Florida Realty, Inc. we have assisted many clients with their real estate needs. Are you looking to buy or sell a property in South Florida? Now more than ever, it is critical to have a qualified real estate team and the proper search tools behind you. Live South Florida Realty, Inc., has been a leader in the South Florida market for many years. Let our team of professionals assist you with buying or selling your piece of paradise today! In addition, our recently launched “Florida Home Search” app is now available on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. With real-time MLS feeds, this app lets you set your own alerts to notify you as soon as a property meeting your needs hits the market. Furthermore, it will also let you know of recent closed sales in your area so that you may be even more educated on the market. Be sure to download this app for your smartphone or tablet today!