If you have ever watched any of the television shows about real estate agents working in big cities, then it probably seems like a glamorous profession where you simply show an expensive home and the collect a large commission. Needless to say, these shows have certainly sensationalized what real estate agents typically do. Oh and by the way, it is nowhere near that glamorous for most real estate agents. Unfortunately, there seems to be many myths about what exactly real estate agents do and how they earn a living. Below, we will debunk several of the most common myths about real estate agents.
Real estate agent myths
- Myth 1: You don’t need a real estate agent if you’re buying a home. Although you technically can buy a home without a real estate agent, it is not advisable. Buying a home is a complex process, and it can be very helpful to have a knowledgeable agent on your side. An agent can help you find the right home, negotiate the best price, and guide you through the paperwork. Lastly, a real estate agent will typically be able to negotiate a better price for you on a home given their extensive knowledge of the local market.
- Myth 2: Real estate agents only show homes that are listed with their company. This is also not true. Real estate agents have access to all of the homes that are listed for sale in their area through the multiple listing service (MLS), regardless of which company the home is listed with. A good real estate agent will be able to perform a thorough listing report based on your desired budget and criteria.
- Myth 3: Real estate agents only care about making a commission. While it is true that real estate agents make their income strictly on commissions from sales or rentals, they also have a genuine interest in helping their clients. A good agent will want to find their client the perfect home and make the buying or selling process as smooth as possible.
- Myth 4: All real estate agents are the same. This could not be any more untrue. There are a wide variety of real estate agents out there, with different values as well as levels of experience and expertise. It is important to do your research and find an agent who is a good fit for you.
- Myth 5: Real estate agents are pushy and will try to pressure you into buying a home. This is not true of all real estate agents. A good agent will listen to your needs and wants and will not pressure you into buying a home that you are not comfortable with.
- Myth 6: Real estate agents only work with wealthy clients. This is not true. Real estate agents work with clients of all income levels.
- Myth 7: Real estate agents are only interested in selling new homes. This is not true. Real estate agents also work with clients who are buying or selling used homes.
- Myth 8: I can save money by not using a real estate agent when buying a new construction home through a builder. This is absolutely not true. In fact, oftentimes builders will offer additional incentives to buyers and their agents if they buy a home. The reason for this is that builders want more agents to be familiar with their projects so that they may find other buyers in the future.
- Myth 9: I can make more money when selling my home by not using a real estate agent. Once again, this is false. In fact, the data shows that home sellers typically make more money when their property is marketed and sold through a real estate brokerage.
- Myth 10: I have access to the entire market of homes for sale through popular real estate apps. Not only is this not the case, but oftentimes these popular third-party real estate apps have outdated information in them. In addition, these companies capture your contact information and sell them to other companies wanting to market their goods or services to you. For more information on this, click here.
In closing, a local, professional, and knowledgeable real estate agent will be your best resource whether you are buying or selling a home. At Live South Florida Realty, Inc. our team has worked tirelessly to build an excellent reputation in the South Florida market. In addition, our network of professional agents throughout the state has also assisted many of our clients looking to relocate to other parts of The Sunshine State.
Are you looking to buy or sell a property in the South Florida market? We can help! Contact Natasha at Live South Florida Realty, Inc. today! Also, be sure to download the free Florida Home Search app for your smartphone or tablet.