Home showing surveillance?

Nowadays, security cameras are virtually everywhere you go. They are inexpensive, relatively easy to install, & connect right to your mobile device, thus allowing you to monitor your property from virtually anywhere. Interestingly, a recent study of more than 2,000 consumers by LendingTree found that approximately 3 in 10 sellers utilized their security cameras during an open house or other showing of their property. The most common equipment utilized were security cameras and doorbell cameras. Even baby monitors and nanny cameras were utilized, although less often.

Why are sellers recording showings?

Although security is the main reasons why cameras exist in the first place, it is not necessarily the most common reason given by sellers for recording their home showings. In this study, approximately 49% of the respondents provided theirs reasons for utilizing their cameras as follows:

  • to understand what buyers do and don’t like about the home (49%)
  • to gather information that could be helpful during negotiations (36%)
  • to ensure safety of the home (31%)
  • to see what their own real estate agent is saying about the home (23%)
  • no reason given because cameras are always on for security (10%)


Although the practice of recording showings may highlight some consistent feedback from prospective buyers, it is important for sellers to realize that attitudes towards this practice differ from buyer to buyer. According to this survey, 44% of the buyers that were recorded felt that they were being “spied” on & it was potentially an invasion of their privacy. The remaining 56% of buyers did not necessarily like being recorded, but it had no bearing on whether they would purchase the home or not. Regardless, both buyers and sellers should be mindful of this practice. For buyers, a good idea may be to take notes during property showings and then discuss your findings later with your spouse, partner, and/or real estate agent in a private location.

Are you looking to buy or sell a property in South Florida? Now more than ever, it is critical to have a qualified real estate team and the proper search tools behind you. At Live South Florida Realty, Inc., we have been a leader in the South Florida market for many years. Let our team of professionals assist you with buying or selling your piece of paradise today! In addition, our recently launched “Florida Home Search” app is now available on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. With real-time MLS feeds, this app lets you set your own alerts to notify you as soon as a property meeting your needs hits the market. Furthermore, it will also let you know of recent closed sales in your area so that you may be even more educated on the market. Be sure to download this app for your smartphone or tablet today!

South Florida real estate app

By natasha@livesouthfl.com

REALTOR® with Live South Florida Realty, Inc.