The general consensus is that any home listed for sale in South Florida right now will sell quickly. While this may be the case for most homes, a poorly maintained home may significantly lower the sale price. Therefore, it is important that attention to detail is employed when it comes to the maintenance of a home. Below we will discuss a few maintenance tasks that should be addressed prior to listing a home for sale.
Areas of focus
- Landscaping: Nothing sends the message that a home has not been kept up with quite like messy, damaged, or overgrown landscaping. In particular, the front yard is one of the first impressions that prospective buyers will make when arriving at a property. Proper trimming of trees, shrubs, and even adding colorful flowers can dramatically change the appearance of the home. Although most showings take place during the daylight hours, landscape lighting can also add a new dimension to a home’s yard. It is important to remember that many buyers will still drive by a property that they are considering at various times of the day and week. Therefore, landscape lighting can make a home stand out during the evening.
- Update windows and doors: Sticking with the curb appeal theme, nothing screams an outdated home quite like old windows and doors. In addition to looking dated, older windows and doors are typically inefficient resulting in higher energy costs. In South Florida, it is also important to consider storm protection. Therefore, this is a good time to not only update the aesthetics of the home but also the storm protection by installing high-impact windows and doors.
- Kitchen repairs: The kitchen is arguably the most important room in a home. The reason for this is because this is the room where most people tend to congregate and therefore spend the most time in. This is a good time to replace a leaky faucet or a damaged appliance.
- Bathroom repairs: Much like the kitchen, bathrooms garner a lot of attention as well. Whether it is replacing the mirror or a damaged towel rack, subtle updates to the bathroom can dramatically improve its appearance. Of course, ensuring that the plumbing is working optimally is critical here.
- Maintain or repair the HVAC system: In South Florida a properly functioning HVAC system is critical. A poorly functioning HVAC system can be an immediate turnoff to a prospective buyer. Even if this is not uncovered during initial home showings, it will most certainly be uncovered during the general home inspection. A best practice is to have your HVAC contractor perform a general tune-up on your unit prior to listing the home for sale.
Although the items listed above may seem obvious to some, it is often surprising to see how many properties are not properly prepared to sell. It is important for sellers to remember that attention to detail when preparing to sell a home may result in a significantly higher sales price. Some sellers even opt to hire a general home inspector prior to listing their home for sale. In doing so, the seller is able to address items that were uncovered during the inspection prior to listing the home for sale.
Are you looking to sell your home in South Florida? We can help. With agents across Palm Beach, Broward, & Dade counties, our local and knowledgeable real estate agents can ensure that you achieve top dollar for your property. Contact Live South Florida Realty, Inc. today!