Florida and California are two of the most popular states in the United States, and for good reason. Both states offer a variety of attractions, from beautiful beaches to world-class cities. However, there is one big difference between the two states: the cost of living. In fact, this is one of the primary reasons why we are seeing more people moving from California to Florida. In general, Florida is a more affordable state to live in than California. This is especially true when it comes to housing. The median home price in Florida is $391,497, while the median home price in California is $795,000. This means that you can buy a home in Florida for about half the price of a home in California. Of course, the cost of housing is not the only reason that many Californians are moving to Florida. We discuss below.
Moving to Florida
Rather than asking “who is moving to Florida”, perhaps a better question is “who isn’t moving to Florida”? Of course, there are many reasons why more Americans are looking to The Sunshine State for brighter days ahead. When it comes to Californians opting to move to Florida, there is no shortage of reasons. In addition to housing costs, some of these reasons include:
- Cost of living: The cost of utilities, food, and transportation is also lower in Florida than in California. This means that you can save money on your overall living expenses if you choose to live in Florida.
- Taxes: Florida has no state income tax, while California has a high state income tax. This can save you a lot of money on your taxes if you live in Florida.
- Job market: The job market in Florida is strong, and there are a variety of industries to choose from. In fact, more industries are now moving to Florida. California also has a strong job market, but the competition for jobs can be fierce.
- Weather: Florida has a warm, tropical climate year-round, while California has a Mediterranean climate with hot, dry summers and cool, wet winters.
- Freedom: Although this benefit was more pronounced during the pandemic, Florida has been known to be less restrictive for both residents and businesses. In fact, many business owners have now opted to move out of California because it has become too difficult to conduct business there.
- Crime: Although there is crime throughout the country, California’s soft on crime stance has become a real issue. In fact, in cities such as San Francisco, we have recently seen major retailers such as Whole Foods exit the market entirely.
Historically, Florida has seen more Americans moving to The Sunshine State from northeastern states such as New York, New Jersey, and Massachusetts. However, we have seen a record number of Californians moving to Florida in recent years. Of course, the rise in popularity of the virtual workspace has allowed many more Americans to relocate without geographical restrictions.
If you are thinking about relocating to The Sunshine State, South Florida offers the very best of everything. Feel free to contact us today to begin your search in paradise! Also, be sure to download the free Florida Home Search app for your mobile device to begin your search today!