Moving from one state to another can be a daunting task, but it can be especially challenging when you’re moving from a big city like New York to a smaller, more laid-back place like South Florida. Of course, New Yorkers moving to South Florida is certainly nothing new. In fact, many retirees from New York have been moving to South Florida for decades. Although South Florida still attracts many retirees from all over the country and world, we have also seen an uptick in working-aged New Yorkers moving south. This is largely due to the increased popularity of the virtual workspace that emerged from the pandemic. Nowadays, many New Yorkers can remain working for their same employer in The Empire State while living in The Sunshine State. If you’re thinking about making the move to paradise, here are a few things you need to know to make the transition as smooth as possible.
Tips for a move to South Florida
- Research the market: This likely goes without saying, but it is always important to research the market as thoroughly as possible. In addition to speaking with family and friends that may already be living in the area, you may want to consider various social media resources as well. For example, there are a variety of South Florida Facebook groups that may offer a lot of insights.
- Rent while learning the market: In the event that you are not too familiar with the South Florida market, it may be quite beneficial to rent while you are getting to know the area better. The fact of the matter is that there is only so much you can learn from conducting online research. Therefore, there is nothing better than actually living in the market.
- Take a drive: Once you are actually living in the South Florida area, there is no substitute for exploring the various neighborhoods throughout the area. In particular, it is best to explore various neighborhoods during the evenings and weekends when most people will be home. Doing this will give you a better idea for different neighborhoods and areas.
- Hire a local real estate agent: As with any home purchase, it is always best to hire a local and knowledgeable real estate agent. This real estate agent will be best able to guide you throughout the market and offer unique insights that you likely would not be able to learn on your own.
- Tailor your search to your lifestyle needs: When working with your real estate agent, it is important to let him/her know of your lifestyle needs or desires. For example, perhaps you want to live close to the beach or prefer to live in a country club community with various social benefits.
Moving to South Florida can be quite exciting but also quite daunting. As with any move across the country, it is important to work with local and knowledgeable professionals that will make this move as smooth as possible. In addition to being your resource for lcoal real estate knowledge, your real estate agent should also be able to offer referrals for a variety of other experts to assist you with your move. At Live South Florida Realty, Inc., we have assisted many clients with moving to South Florida. If you are considering a move to paradise, contact Natasha today! In addition, be sure to download the free Florida Home Search app for your smartphone or tablet.