In today’s market, buyers are increasingly looking for homes that are energy efficient. This is due to a number of factors, including rising energy costs, concerns about the environment, and the desire to save money. According to a recent report from the National Association of Realtors® (NAR), 63% of real estate agents stated that it’s “very” or “somewhat” valuable to promote a listing’s energy efficiency. There are a number of energy efficient features that can make your home more attractive to buyers. We discuss several below.
Energy efficient features
- Energy-efficient appliances: These appliances use less energy than traditional appliances, which can save buyers money on their monthly energy bills.
- Energy-efficient windows and doors: These windows and doors help to keep the heat in during the winter and the cool air in during the summer, which can also save buyers money on their energy bills.
- Insulation: Proper insulation helps to keep the temperature in your home more consistent, which can also save buyers money on their energy bills.
- Green technology: Green technology, such as solar panels and smart thermostats, can help to make your home even more energy efficient.
- Light-colored metal roofing: Many homeowners may not realize this, but a white colored sheet metal roof will deflect a lot of the sun’s heat. This can result in less heat pressure on the home. Alternatively, a dark colored roof can retain more heat thus putting more pressure on the home’s HVAC system.
The recent report from the National Association of Realtors® (NAR) indicated that real estate agents felt the most important green features for their clients were:
- Windows, doors and siding (39%)
- Proximity to frequently visited places (37%)
- A comfortable living space (37%)
- A home’s utility bills and operating costs (25%)
In closing, it is becoming more and more important to highlight all energy efficient features of the home when marketing it for sale. Are you thinking about selling your home in South Florida? We can help! Contact Natasha at Live South Florida Realty, Inc. today! Also, be sure to download the free Florida Home Search app for your mobile device.