Take a drive through a South Florida neighborhood and chances are that you will see a fair amount of metal roofs on homes. Initially, a metal roof was primarily seen in commercial building applications. However, over the past few decades we have seen an increase in popularity of the metal roof in residential applications. The good news is that there are more options than ever now with metal roofs. To learn more about the pros and cons of metal roofing, check out this article. We discuss some of the benefits of metal roofing below.
Benefits of metal roofing
- Durability: Perhaps the top reason to go with a metal roof on your home is it’s strength and durability. In particular, their ability to withstand heavy winds, hail, snow, and other extreme weather conditions are leading reasons many opt for a metal roof. In fact, many metal roofs have wind ratings up to 140 mph!
- Longevity: If you are looking to re-roof once and likely not have to think about it again, then a metal roof is your best option. On average, a metal roof lasts 2-3 times longer than an asphalt shingle roof and can last up to 50 years depending on the type of metal used.
- Energy Efficiency: Metal roofing deflects solar radiant heat. This effect is even more pronounced with lighter colors, such as white. In South Florida, this can reduce energy costs by 10-25%.
- Environmentally friendly: Oftentimes, metal roofs contain anywhere between 25% – 95% recycled content, depending on the material used. In addition, these materials are completely recyclable at the end of the roof’s useful life.
- Less stress on existing roof trusses (for re-roofing applications): Compared to concrete tile roofing, metal roofing material weighs significantly less. This is an important benefit when re-roofing, particularly if the home being re-roofed is older.
Metal roofs for residential applications have certainly gained in popularity over recent years. Throughout South Florida, homes with flat panel metal roofs are oftentimes referred to as “Key West style” homes. Regardless, metal roofs are certainly a practical roofing option given the strength of the hurricanes that tend to make landfall in The Sunshine State. In addition, metal roofs are available in an abundance of colors and styles to meet just about every preference. For example, there is a metal roof style that resembles the barrel tile that is commonly seen in Mediterranean style homes. If you are close to the coast, it is important that you use paneling with a protective coating to prevent oxidation due to the salt air in South Florida. PVDF coating (polyvinylidene fluoride) or Kynar® coating is a pure thermoplastic fluoropolymer that is non-reactive and possesses multiple coating benefits. … Kynar® PVDF coatings for steel, aluminum, and other metals also have a high dielectric strength & excellent resistance to weathering elements in harsh environments.
Are you looking to buy or sell real estate in South Florida? If so, you have found the right site. Contact our friendly and knowledge team today to get started. Also, don’t forget to download the free Florida Home Search app for your smartphone or tablet.