Staging a home for sale is the process of preparing it to be shown to potential buyers. It involves de-cluttering, cleaning, making minor repairs, and arranging furniture and accessories in a way that is appealing and inviting. Staging is important because it can help your home sell faster and for more money. A well-staged home shows buyers that the property is well-maintained and that they can move right in. It also helps them to visualize themselves living in the space. With the housing market cooling off over the past 18 months, staging a home has once again become even more important when selling your home. Below, we discuss some reasons why you may want to consider this tactic when selling your home.
Benefits of staging a home
- A better virtual first impression: Almost all home searches begin online. With this said, the importance of professional photos of a properly staged home can not be overstated. Most prospective home buyers will eliminate a home from consideration simply based on the listing photos. (Note: Professional photos are critical.)
- Faster sale time: Staged homes typically sell faster than un-staged homes. According to the National Association of Realtors, staged homes sell an average of nine days faster than un-staged homes.
- Higher sale price: Staged homes also tend to sell for more money than unstaged homes. According to the Real Estate Staging Association, staged homes sell for an average of 5% to 15% over asking price.
- More buyer interest: A well-staged home is more likely to generate interest from buyers. When buyers see a home that is clean, decluttered, and well-decorated, they are more likely to want to see it in person.
- A better first impression: When buyers walk into a well-staged home, they are immediately greeted by a space that feels warm, inviting, and well-maintained. This makes a great first impression and helps buyers to feel more connected to the home.
Tips for staging a home
- De-clutter: Get rid of any unnecessary furniture, decorations, and personal belongings. This will help the space to feel larger and more inviting.
- Deep clean: Give your home a deep clean from top to bottom. This includes cleaning the carpets, windows, and appliances.
- Make minor repairs: Fix any broken or damaged items in your home. This could include things like leaky faucets, cracked tiles, and peeling paint.
- Arrange furniture: Arrange your furniture in a way that is both functional and inviting. Create conversation areas and make sure that there is plenty of space to move around.
- Add accessories: Add accessories to your home to make it feel more warm and welcoming. This could include things like fresh flowers, throw pillows, and artwork.
To learn more about staging a home, check out our previous article titled “The 5 Golden Rules Of Home Staging”. Of course, in a cooling housing market, home staging has become even more important when marketing your home for sale. If you are not comfortable staging your home yourself, you can hire a professional stager to help you. Professional stagers have the experience and expertise to make your home look its best. As always, your real estate agent can be a great referral resource for finding assistance with staging your home for sale.
Are you looking to buy or sell real estate in South Florida? We can help! Contact Natasha at Live South Florida Realty, Inc. today!. Also, don’t forget to download the free Florida Home Search app for your mobile device!