Home ownership can be expensive. This is not a new concept. After all, you have probably heard the phrase: “It’s always something with a home.” Although it is a fact that people that own homes achieve more wealth on average, than people who do not, this does not mean that home ownership doesn’t come without costs. The aim of this article is to highlight some of the most common expensive mistakes that people make on their homes.
- Using traditional light bulbs: With LED bulbs extremely energy-efficient and readily available, this is an easy fix. Traditional light bulbs not only use more energy, they also create heat. The result of both of these items results in higher energy costs.
- Ignoring a leaky faucet: A leaky faucet that drips one drop per second can waste more than 3,000 gallons per year, which is enough water to take more than 180 showers. These additional gallons from a water leak result in added dollars on your water bill.
- Using the wrong type or size air filter: This is a common area that is overlooked. Not using the right sized filter can result in costly HVAC repairs. In addition, not replacing the air filter in a timely manner may also force your HVAC to work harder. While there are various models and ratings for air filters, it is actually recommended to use basic air filters and replace them monthly for optimum performance of your HVAC system.
- Leaky windows and doors: In South Florida, this is a common issue. Given the significant heat in our climate, any insulation you can add to your home is significant. The common solution in South Florida is to install high-impact windows and doors. Not only are they more energy-efficient, they are also rated for protection for significant hurricane winds.
- Not Customizing Temperature: In warm climates such as in South Florida, it is critical to have a programmed thermostat. For example, if nobody is home for many hours throughout the day, there is no need to keep the A/C running at peak cooling levels. Similarly, in cold climates there is not need to continue heating an empty house for extended hours throughout the day.
These are just a few items to keep in mind. Not only will these items save you money, but they may also save you some headache by limiting additional repairs.