Buying and moving into a new home is both exciting and a huge undertaking. Some data suggests that on average, Americans move at least once every five years. Furthermore, Americans move an average of 11.7 times in their lifetime. Although it can be a stressful time for some, it does not necessarily have to be. Below we discuss some helpful tips to make the moving process as smooth and easy as possible.
- Start planning early. The earlier you start planning, the more time you’ll have to declutter, pack, and get organized.
- Set a budget. Moving can be expensive, so it’s important to set a budget and stick to it.
- Hire a professional mover or do it yourself. If you’re moving a long distance or have a lot of belongings, it’s a good idea to hire professional movers. If you’re moving locally or have a small amount of belongings, you can likely do it yourself.
- Declutter. Before you start packing, take some time to declutter your belongings. Get rid of anything you don’t need or use. This will make the packing process easier and will free up space in your new home.
- Get packing supplies. You’ll need a variety of packing supplies, including boxes, packing paper, bubble wrap, markers, and tape. You can buy these supplies at most home improvement stores.
- Pack smart. When packing, label each box clearly with the contents and the room it belongs in. This will make unpacking much easier.
- Pack an essentials bag. This bag should include items you’ll need on moving day, such as clothes, toiletries, and snacks.
- Schedule utilities. Make sure to schedule utilities for your new home before you move in. This includes electricity, gas, water, and internet.
- Get to know your neighbors. Introducing yourself to your neighbors is a great way to make friends and get to know your new community.
- Enjoy your new home! After all the hard work, it’s time to relax and enjoy your new home.
Additional moving tips to consider
- Take pictures of your belongings before you pack them. This will help you keep track of everything and make sure you don’t lose anything. As an added measure, you can number each box for the picture so that you know the exact contents in each.
- If you’re moving a long distance, pack your breakables in sturdy boxes and mark them clearly.
- Hire a professional mover if you have any valuable or fragile items.
- Don’t forget to clean your old home before you move out.
- Be patient and don’t try to do everything at once. Moving can be a lot of work, but it’s also an exciting time.
Moving to a new home is an exciting time and does not need to be stressful or cause anxiety. As with all other parts of the home buying process, planning and preparation will greatly improve your experience. Since it seems as though most people have a horror story to share regarding professional moving companies, it is important to obtain referrals from your real estate agent, friends, or family members.
Are you thinking about buying or selling a home in the South Florida area? We can help! Contact Natasha at Live South Florida Realty, Inc. today! Also, don’t forget to download the free Florida Home Search app for your mobile device. This will give you access to the full South Florida MLS right in the palm of your hand.