Did you know? The state of Florida welcomed more visitors in 2021 than in any other year in recorded state history – nearly 118 million people. Of course, with the tropical climate, beautiful beaches, and various amusement parks, The Sunshine State’s popularity as a tourist attraction is nothing new. With this said, freedom from restrictive mandates was a common driver for these visitors in 2021. As is commonly seen, many of these visitors end up becoming intrigued by a potential full-time move to paradise. Below we share 10 of the most common reasons to relocate to South Florida.
10 reasons to choose the South Florida lifestyle
- #1. Beautiful beaches: Let’s get right to a major factor here – the amazing South Florida beaches. There is something about being able to say that you live where everyone vacations. The beaches throughout South Florida are world-class and easily accessible throughout the area.
- #2. Tropical climate: If you enjoy being in shorts and flip-flops pretty much year round, then you will love South Florida. Although the summers can get hot and steamy, you can always take a dip in the pool or the ocean. Of course, the mild winters are certainly popular with the vast number of seasonal residents in the area. The average year round weather in South Florida is 72 degrees.
- #3. No state income tax: In lieu of a state tax, the state of Florida earns dollars from the millions of tourists that visit our state each year through a 7% sales tax (state level) and a 5% tourist tax (county level) on revenues from rental properties and hotel stays that are for a term of 6 month or less. For many Americans relocating from states such as New York, New Jersey, or California, this can be a significant savings.
- #4. Plenty of amusement parks & theme parks: Florida is home to 8 of the top 20 amusements parks in the entire country as well as 3 of the top 20 water parks in the entire world. Many of these parks are all easily accessible from South Florida with just a few hour drive. Furthermore, many of these parks offer a discount for Florida residents.
- #5. A strong economy: Florida’s economy is currently ranked as the 4th largest in the U.S., based upon its Gross State Product of $1.1 Trillion, behind California, Texas and New York. Although known for its tourism and hospitality industries, The Sunshine State is also attracting more companies to relocate here. For example, several companies in the financial sector have relocated to South Florida.
- #6. Reasonable real estate prices and overall cost of living: The average Florida home price as of March 2022 is $367,000. With this said, the average home price in the U.S. is currently $337,000. While Florida home prices are 8.9% above the national average, they are dramatically lower than the most common states where Americans are relocating from.
- #7. A great retirement destination: Earlier this year, WalletHub named Florida as the top state to retire in for 2022 based on affordability, quality of life and health care by their panel of experts. Of course, retirees moving to South Florida is certainly nothing new as this has been happening for decades.
- #8. Plenty of outdoor shows, festivals, & events: Thanks to the tropical climate, South Florida enjoys various outdoor activities throughout the entire year. Whatever your interests are, there is a good chance that there will be events to meet your needs. From boat and car shows to green markets and food festivals, you can find something to do virtually every weekend.
- #9. Sports of all sorts: If you are a sports fan, South Florida offers various professional & collegiate sports teams to follow. Whether it is the professional ranks or college teams, there is no shortage of sporting events to attend throughout the South Florida area.
- #10. Vacations are a short car ride away: Whether it is a trip to central Florida to visit the theme parks, a drive up the coast to visit the Kennedy Space Center, or just a quick commute across the state to check out the Gulf of Mexico beaches, there are plenty of options for South Florida residents. If there has ever been a place to staycation, South Florida is the place!
The most challenging part about writing this article was simply limiting the list of reasons to move to South Florida to only ten! As demonstrated by the many visitors to South Florida, once they get to experience the South Florida lifestyle they never want to leave. Of course, moving to any unknown area can be intimidating. As natives to South Florida, we have been able to assist many people relocating to the area. Do you have questions? We are happy to assist.
At Live South Florida Realty, Inc. we have assisted many clients with their real estate needs. Are you looking to buy or sell a property in South Florida? Now more than ever, it is critical to have a qualified real estate team and the proper search tools behind you. Live South Florida Realty, Inc., has been a leader in the South Florida market for many years. Let our team of professionals assist you with buying or selling your piece of paradise today! In addition, our recently launched “Florida Home Search” app is now available on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. With real-time MLS feeds, this app lets you set your own alerts to notify you as soon as a property meeting your needs hits the market. Furthermore, it will also let you know of recent closed sales in your area so that you may be even more educated on the market. Be sure to download this app for your smartphone or tablet today!