There is no doubt that we have seen homebuyer preferences change since the beginning of the pandemic. For example, prior to the pandemic, we were seeing home sizes slightly decrease with more of a focus on energy-efficient features. Of course, with more people working from home and generally spending more time at home in efforts to social distance, we did see the average size of the home tick up slightly during 2021. According to the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), the average size of a new home dropped slightly from 2,525 square feet to 2,480 square feet in 2022, and the percentage of new homes with 3+ full bathrooms and 3+ car garages dipped to 33% and 17%, respectively. So what features do homebuyers really want in 2023? We discuss below.
What homebuyers want the most
- #1. A laundry room: 87% of buyers want a laundry room in the home. 63% of buyers specified that they want the laundry room on the first floor of the home.
- #2. Exterior lighting: 87% of buyers want exterior lighting in the home. This adds to curb appeal & security. Landscape lighting is also highly desired.
- #3. Ceiling fans: 83% of buyers want ceiling fans in the home. This is particularly true in warmer climates such as South Florida.
- #4. High-impact windows/ENERGY STAR windows: 83% of buyers want energy-efficient windows. Of course, in markets such as Florida, the high-impact rating is equally important for hurricane season.
- #5. A patio: 82% of buyers want a patio. Since the pandemic, outdoor space has been increasingly important.
- #6. A side-by-side kitchen sink: 81% of buyers want a side-by-side kitchen sink. Once again, more time being spent cooking at home has led to the need for more space, including for dishes and food preparation.
- #7. A walk-in pantry: 81% of buyers want a walk-in pantry. The more time you spend at home, the more space you likely will need for food storage.
- #8. A front porch: 81% of buyers want a front porch. Considered to be a once forgotten feature of the home, a front porch can add functionality, design, and curb appeal to the home.
- #9. Energy-efficient appliances: 81% of buyers want energy-efficient appliances. With the price of virtually everything going up, more homebuyers prefer to have energy-efficient appliances to help offset rising energy prices.
- #10. Hardwood flooring in the main living areas: 81% want hardwood flooring in the main areas of the home. Of course, we also see a strong demand for tile flooring in markets such as South Florida. As a compromise, many homeowners opt for the wood look tile or wood plank tile. This flooring is made to look like wood, but is actually a tile material. This allows for the desired look without the required maintenance of wood flooring. It is also preferred in high humidity climates such as in Florida.
As a homeowner, it is always helpful to stay on top of the most recent homebuyer preferences. This way, should you decide to sell your home, you will be better prepared to present your property in the best light. Overall, more buyers are looking for additional functionality in the home. This is largely due to the fact that more time is being spent in the home than ever. Whether it is working from home, virtual schooling, or simply cooking more at home in order to save money, we have certainly seen Americans spending more time in the home in recent years.
Are you looking to buy or sell property in South Florida? We can help! Contact Natasha at Live South Florida Realty, Inc. today! Also, don’t forget to download the free Florida Home Search app for your mobile device!