With more people moving to Florida than any other state in the country last year, there is no questioning that The Sunshine State is a top destination state. Long known as a retirement destination, we are now seeing many working households flocking to paradise for various reasons such as a robust economy, a lack of state income tax, and a lower cost of living. Of course, there are many options to choose from in such a large state. So where are top places to live in Florida? Forbes Advisor recently published their list of the top places to live in Florida.
Criteria used for rankings
Forbes analyzed various metropolitan areas throughout the state using the standard list of criteria from their corresponding sources:
- Population: U.S. Census Bureau, 2021
- Median home price: Realtor.com, August 2022
- Cost of living for family of four (two adults, two children): Economic Policy Institute, November 2022
- Median household income: U.S. Census Bureau, 2020
- Unemployment statistics: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, August 2022
- Community well-being: ShareCare Community Well-Being Index
- Crime rate: Florida Department of Law Enforcement, 2020
Top Florida cities to live
- #1. Tampa: Median home price = $437,000; median income = $59,893
- #2. Gainesville: Median home price = $140,398; median income = $40,937
- #3. Jacksonville: Median home price = $429,000; median income = $55,531
- #4. Cape Coral: Median home price = $479,000; median income = $61,780
- #5. Orlando: Median home price = $308,493; median income = $58,968
- #6. Miami: Median home price = $617,000; median income = $57,815
- #7. Melbourne: Median home price = $394,450; median income = $51,934
- #8. Sarasota: Median home price = $550,000; median income = $62,615
- #9. Tallahassee: Median home price = $312,500; median income = $49,077
- #10. Pensacola: Median home price = $401,749; median income = $59,199
Needless to say, there are plenty of great options to move to in The Sunshine State. Of course, we are slightly biased towards the beautiful beaches, diverse culture, and robust economy throughout South Florida. Regardless, it is no wonder why Florida has been the most popular state to relocate to over the past few years.
Are you thinking about moving to Florida? We can help! In addition to covering the South Florida area, we also have an expansive referral network of other great real estate agents throughout the state. Feel free to contact us today! If you are considering the South Florida area, be sure to download our free Florida Home Search app for your mobile device as well.