The kitchen is arguably the most important room of any house. With this said, the current pandemic has forced many homeowners to spend considerable more time at home. Thus, this has led to many renovations and as expected, this has led to many kitchens being overhauled. The overall trend in housing during the pandemic has been focused on obtaining more space. Not surprisingly, the kitchen has been no different.
2021 U.S. Houzz Kitchen Trends Study
A recent study by Houzz called the “2021 U.S. Kitchen Trends Study” was conducted based on a survey of more than 2,000 homeowners planning or in the midst of a kitchen remodel. As you might have guessed, kitchen storage and additional space came in as the top priorities of the study. Nearly half of homeowners upgraded pantry cabinets, and one in eight added a walk-in pantry. The desire for additional space does not seem to be going away anytime soon.
Additional highlights from the Houzz Kitchen Trends Study
- Bold island colors: 41% of renovators differentiated their island cabinet color from the colors in the rest of the kitchen.
- Trending cabinetry: Shaker-style and white cabinet doors led the way as the most common.
- Added built-ins: The addition of specialty drawers, trays, and revolving trays such as “Lazy Susans” also rose in popularity.
- Neutral tones dominate: Neutral tones for wall surfaces continued to be the most common. Colors such as white, gray, & beige led the way.
- High-tech faucets and appliances: As expected, touchless faucets gained in popularity as did smart appliances. With technology advancing, homes are becoming smarter as a whole.
Overall, these findings from the 2021 U.S. Houzz Kitchen Trends Study are not surprising. Due to the pandemic, the home has become an even bigger focal point for Americans. Therefore, the trend has been to make it as accommodating as possible to meet the increased needs of the current environment. As a homeowner that may be considering the sale of your home in the near future, you will certainly want to make note of these most recent trends in home design.