We all know that when marketing a property for sale, certain items are absolutely necessary. For example, cleaning, de-cluttering, & maximizing natural light are important items. However, a new study actually used eye-tracking hardware to better determine exactly what caught buyers’ eyes during showings. While this study was conducted in the United Kingdom, their real estate market is also experiencing a similar boom to the United States’ at this time.
What did the study show?
In this study, a number of different buyers were followed at three different properties to see what actually caught their attention. Below is a list of the key items that were noted in this study:
- HVAC: Whether you are in a cold or warm climate, the HVAC system of a home proved to be very important to buyers. For this reason, it is important that South Florida home sellers maintain their property at an ideal and cool temperature for showings.
- Outdoor space: As soon as buyers entered a room that overlooked a backyard or other outdoor space, they spent time focusing on this feature. This feature is even more sought after now during the pandemic as more people look for additional outdoor space.
- Kitchen cabinetry: In addition to confirming that kitchen cabinetry was aesthetically appealing, many buyers even spent time opening and inspecting cabinet doors. A big reason for this was to confirm the quality of the materials.
- Oven: Believe it or not, this study observed buyers looking at the oven and other appliances. In some instances, they even turned them on to confirm they were in working order.
- Lighting: We all know that you do not want buyers entering a dark home during showings. With this said, this study showed many buyers inspecting lighting fixtures and lamps. Oftentimes, these fixtures were turned on or off during showings.
- Water pressure: In another interesting finding, one of the first things that many buyers did upon entering a kitchen or bathroom was turn on the faucet to check the water pressure.
It should be noted that this study was performed in the United Kingdom. Therefore, some of the buyer behaviors may certainly be different than those seen in the United States. Nonetheless, it should also be noted that sellers must truly think of everything prior to listing a property for sale. It is helpful to have an experienced and knowledgeable real estate professional guiding you through this process. After all, you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression.