The Florida Legislature recently passed a bill that expands the My Safe Florida Home program, which offers free home inspections and in some cases, funding to boost a home’s defenses against hurricane-force winds. The bill, SB 881, now goes to Governor Ron DeSantis for his signature. If he signs it into law, it will go into effect on July 1, 2023. Essentially, the My Safe Florida Home bill allows Florida owners to boost their home’s hurricane protections, with the state paying $2 for every $1 a homeowner spends. We describe the program along with some of the highlights of the bill the would become effective should the governor sign it.
My Safe Florida Home program
The My Safe Florida Home program was created in 2006 to help Floridians prepare for and recover from hurricanes. The program offers two main services:
- Free home inspections: The program provides free home inspections to homeowners in designated wind-borne regions. The inspections are conducted by certified inspectors who will identify any hurricane-related vulnerabilities to the home.
- Matching grants: Eligible homeowners who make hurricane mitigation improvements to their homes may be eligible for a matching grant from the state. The grants are available for up to $10,000, and the state will match every $1 that the homeowner spends on mitigation projects.
If signed into law, the new bill would expand the My Safe Florida Home program in several ways:
- If a program home inspector recommends hurricane mitigation upgrades, owners can received $2 for every $1 they spend, up to a maximum of $10,000.
- Covered improvements – if recommended – include upgrades to roofs, roof-wall reinforcements, window glass, exterior doors and garage doors.
- Eligible homes would have an insured value no higher than $700,000 – an increase from the current $500,000.
- Low-income Florida homeowners can get $10,000 without spending their own money – an increase from the current $5,000.
The My Safe Florida Home program is a valuable resource for Floridians who want to make their homes more hurricane-resistant. The program offers free home inspections and matching grants that can help homeowners save money on their home insurance premiums and protect their homes from hurricane damage. For more information on the My Safe Florida Home program, click here.
Are you looking to buy or sell a property in the South Florida? We can help! Contact Natasha at Live South Florida Realty, Inc. today! For help on the go, be sure to download the free Florida Home Search app for your smartphone or tablet as well.